Remember the Name

When I meet someone for the first time and introduce myself to them, they'll instantly respond, "Wow, you have a common name for an Indonesian," or "Oh, that's a 'unique' name for an Indonesian girl..." (Oh yes... Sense the sarcasm) My parents always tell me that names are silent prayers, because names have meanings inside of them. So let's get to the root of the name, shall we? Please note that I do this in a less narcissistic way.

Nadia. The word itself means hope. My father named me after Nadia Comăneci, the Romanian Gymnast who scored the perfect 10 at the age of 15 and continue to shine in the Olympics. History was made. My dad even enrolled me at ballet school and it lasted for like 3 years or so before I force to quit because I can't deal with the pressure of training and deadly homework at the same time. Maybe he had a little 'hope' that I would be following her footsteps. Oh, whatta pompous dream of his :p I've done a little research of her and this is what I found on YouTube, and one word-- WOW. No wonder Dad wanted me to try to be like her, she's extremely good at what she does! If not, the best there is ;)


Don't you hate it when people misspell your name? In Indonesia, my name can be spelled as Nadia, with an 'I' or Nadya, with a 'Y'. And what I dislike about meeting new people is the jokes they throw at me when I introduce myself and people go adding your last name with a famous person's last name-- for example, "Oh, Nadia... Like the model Nadia? Hutagalung?" which only makes me feel like living under a shadow of a famous person's life. I mean, I don't have any problem with it, knowing that her beauty is divine and all, but hey, I have my own identity and someday I'll create my very own history, no need to push 'em to happen now. I seriously want to study presenting just because she made it look like it was a piece of cake. Done it for Mercedes Benz, and trust me it's not just like a walk in the park! Yet, she made it look effortless. Take a look.


Well there can always be more room for another Nadia to make a mark in the world. Why quit or stop now? Be the person you've always dreamed of becoming. Your name might not be one of a kind, but you're just one of its kind there is!!! Don't follow others' footsteps, make your own footsteps. The ending is yet to be told!


KEEP THE FAITH
XOXOX

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: