The Time-Traveler's Wife

Recent Song on Play: I'm In Love With A Girl- Gavin DeGraw
"I'm in love with a girl who knows me better, fell for the woman just when I met her,
Took my sweet time when I was bitter, someone understands...
"


The one thing that startled me when I was about to watch the movie is that I thought, "Why put the spotlight on the wife?" I mean, it is a story about a man with the ability to time-travel, right? Then why does she deserve all the attention? Playing the role of Clare, Rachel McAdams has definitely grown out of her Mean Girls days to begin with. And she definitely plays a different role, far from her ever-so-memorable classic chick flick, The Notebook.

I can't really quite put my finger on how this time-traveling ability works, it was some kind of genetic-related issue, so I decided to play along since I'm not trying to be an Einstennette. What's interesting is that the movie wasn't about a superhero trying to save a damsel in distress and fighting against evil villains that are trying to take over the world, but rather a movie about how this man with an unknown and rather odd skill, tries to save his own life from falling apart. This "skill" of his is out of his own control, he could have disappeared and reappear at any given moment. You'll get the hang of it as the movie goes on, the actors did an excellent job since they've successfully given you mixed emotions during the movie.

As it goes back to the past and fast forward to the future, I'm beginning to understand why the movie revolves around the wife instead of the time-traveler. It's because she has fallen in love with this man and she has no choice but to wait for him. Even her friends told her to rethink the decision of marrying him, but I admire her tough will and strong heart to stick with her decision.

"I keep myself busy. Time goes faster that way."

She admits as she surrender to the fact that her husband will keep on popping in and out without a warning in advance. There are a few scenes that emphasized that it wasn't easy for her to live a life that way, how she has no guarantee how long she should wait for her husband to come back, like how she just got married and they were jumping joyfully on the bed, laughing, celebrating how they're finally together, but then he disappeared in the seconds that followed, or how they both were setting the table for dinner and as the wife goes into the kitchen, suddenly her attention was alarmed by the sound of the broken plates when the time-traveler decided to go "Poof!" all of the sudden.


The movie definitely saved the best for last. It all came down to the scenes at the ending of the movie. I nearly had tears in my eyes when she admitted that she didn't regret a second in her life, how she thought every minute was worth it, even the fact that she gave in to spend her life waiting, she did it all for love.

"Don't you think that it's better to be extremely happy for a short while, even if you lose it, than to be just okay for your whole life?"

I'm just astounded by her ability to accept everything, how conflicts in her life made her grow stronger, even when she's separated by her husband, how she has to spend most of her life waiting, she even went through blunders like miscarriages, which make the irony even worse. I just found out that the movie is also available to be enjoyed in the form of beautiful literature; a book, that is. I Googled the quotes online and there are a few that really caught my eye.

"There is only one page left to write on. I will fill it with words of only one syllable. I love. I have loved. I will love."


I've seen that quote on Tumblr a few months ago, and was shocked to find out that it's from The Time-Traveler's Wife movie, I didn't quite get the quote until I saw the movie myself. It was a movie that taught me that sometimes waiting for something worth it is okay, it prepares you for the worst and make you a lot more patient in so many ways.


"I go to sleep alone, and wake up alone. I take walks, I work until I'm tired. I watch the wind play with the trash that's been under the snow all winter. Everything seems simple until you think about it. Why is love intensified by absence?"



keep the faith
xoxox

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: